Thursday, June 25, 2009

How much grace is too much and who gets to decide?

We have been wrestling through the freedom and grace that comes from following after Jesus. There are more than two-thousand years of documented attempts. It seems to me that the church of today is way to focused on the back of the pack than the front runner.

It may be that I am just so far behind the front that it seems easier for me to look ahead than to look behind. With so many people more godly, more loving, and less mistake ridden, ahead of me it seems foolish to keep looking back.

Paul seems to be a man like me in this regard. He said that he was to forget what was behind and press on toward the mark. I know that what I have left behind is nothing that I want to get caught up in again. I feel that the more I focus on the darkest of people it leads me to compete with them and then become complacent with my own progress.

When I press on towards the mark that Jesus has set for us. It leads me into appreciation of the gift of grace that I have received. It gives me an immense amount of gratitude for the price paid for my freedom.

Let gratitude and appreciation abound in the same lavish amounts that God's grace has been poured out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment